The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:12:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Torchwood Newbie

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torchwood Newbie  (Read 1039 times)
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« on: December 17, 2010, 03:46:13 pm »

Well - I finally managed to start watching Torchwood.  I really enjoyed it!  The first episode mostly introduced the characters, explained what Torchwood is, and generally laid the foundation for the show.  But that is what most first episodes do, right?  I thought it was a fine opening to a series and it made me want to keep watching. 

I can definitely see how this show is more for adults as opposed to Doctor Who being a kids show (which I don't agree with but that's besides the point).  The preview for episode 2 seems to be all about sex so that should be interesting! 

So anyway, I have finally started watching it and so far so good Smiley  Feel free to join me in starting if you haven't already seen it or let me know what I am in for if you have. 
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:52:03 pm »

I wasn't really a fan of the first series, I watched them as they were broadcast up to about 3/4 the way through Cyberwoman and then gave up on it entirely.  I've watched a couple more episodes with Icey recently and they were better than I remembered it being but I'm still not enthralled enough to rewatch the whole series.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, I don't want to say too much about it yet or I'll spoil you, and I will probably join in more once you get to series 2 as I have seen all of that one Grin
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:25:14 pm »

Yes, episode 2 is about a monster who gets its life force from people orgasming.

It is the most brilliant work of art in the history of entertainment Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:47:07 am »

I decided to start watching the series again from the beginning. Maybe it's because I know the characters well by now but it's even better upon repeated viewings!  The first episode is a real favorite of mine and series 2 is also a lot of fun when they started to get into more of the character arcs.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:12:32 pm »

Yes, episode 2 is about a monster who gets its life force from people orgasming.

It is the most brilliant work of art in the history of entertainment Tongue

Just watched this.  The episode was ok but really?  Really writers?  An alien that feeds on 'orgasmic energy?'  It's like they wrote that story line only because they could.    I am totally loving Jack though Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:55:12 pm »

I always thought it was like a gaseus version of the sex alien from that episode of Angel. If you watch closely enough, nearly all the earlier episodes of TW borrow elements from Buffy and Angel
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 06:47:09 pm »

Last night I watched Cyberwoman.  So far I am torn about this series.  I really want to like it, and I love Jack, but Gwen is kinda stupid.  I mean, who looks at an alien device and says 'I'll just push these buttons and see what will happen' and other such things.  She keeps doing things that don't make sense.  But maybe they are just trying to make the point that she is new to all this and there is a lot to learn. 

Then in Cyberwoman what was with Ianto?  I mean, I understand that what happened to his girlfriend sucks and that he loves her, but when is enough enough?  At what point was he going to realize that she was gone a long time ago and 'man up' if you will.  I don't know - maybe I am just jaded. 

I'll keep watching though in the hopes that it gets better Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 11:52:10 pm »

Ok - I feel the need to amend my earlier post.  I watched the next two episodes (Small Worlds and Countrycide) and really enjoyed them.  I don't know why but the stories were more engaging and the characters more believable - except that Ianto still seems like a whiny baby to me.  And I am kinda liking the Owen/Gwen thing, for now at least.  But we'll see Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 05:52:12 am »

Yeah, seems like every character has their moments of making a *zomg huge mistake* especially the "new girl" and the "teaboy," but even the "techie" and "smart guy doctor" get told off by Jack for something they did. Usually because they went right ahead and did stuff without saying something to him first, and I'm sure everyone has done something like that, especially when they start a new job. Gwen just gets the blame a lot of the time from viewers because she's the newest and shows her emotions the most. Not to mention the whole thing with Jack recruiting her and spending time with her. But yes, Ianto does look unprepared as well, since he was like the personal assistant at Torchwood One and now he's put forward as one of the main defenders of Earth. 

It seemed like in "Ghost Machine" that the alien device started reacting as soon as someone picked it up, since the same thing happened when Owen and Bernie had it. And Owen and Gwen were drawn to each other, like they went through many traumatic experiences together and they needed some outlet to make it better. I think they would react in an extreme fashion when they had just been put in many dangerous situations. Though season 1 is a bit uneven due to the writers putting in as many things as they could think of to emphasize the "adult" nature of the program, and distinguish it from Doctor Who. I still think the show really got into gear by series 2. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 04:36:21 pm »

Ive recently got to the end of series two of a rewatch marathon and I still think its brilliant. There are some episodes that arent as great but its really worth sticking with. Especially to get to series three. The show took a while to find its feet but once it got into its stride and found its way then it really got brilliant. The last few episodes of series 2 are especially good
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »

So the last episode I watched was Random Shoes.  I have to say that you guys were right, it got off to a rocky start but now that I am well into the season it is going a lot better.  The stories are interesting and engaging and I am enjoying it much more than when I started.  Looking forward to finishing season 1 hopefully soon.
Report Spam   Logged

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 06:44:20 pm »

Random Shoes was quite good, I think it fulfilled the goal of Torchwood to show what effect alien influence has on everyday human life. The Sarah Jane Adventures also has the theme of "life on earth can be an adventure too," so people can find something extraordinary even in everyday life. While the Torchwood themes tend to be darker than SJA or Doctor Who, they do at times bring out a sense of wonder about the universe.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 01:51:36 pm »

While the Torchwood themes tend to be darker than SJA or Doctor Who, they do at times bring out a sense of wonder about the universe.  Cool

A sense of wonder about the universe is a good thing - part of why I love all this stuff Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 01:01:43 pm »

So, last week I managed to finish season 1 of Torchwood.  I feel that the season was uneven: some episodes were great and others were kinda 'meh'.  I really think that Owen is such an uneven character.  One moment he is all nice and in touch with his emotions and the next he is an ass.  But that could just be because he is a man (I kid, I kid Smiley )  I really thought that the final ep of the season was weak.  It started out great but then the monster at the end looked like the Balrog demon from Lord of the Rings and was so easy to defeat.  As soon as it was mentioned that it feeds on life I knew exactly what was going to happen; what Jack was going to do.

I liked that Jack said that only 'a certain kind of Doctor' would have convinced him to open the rift, but I thought it was a bit much to hear the TARDIS at the end - but it is what it is.

Everyone here has told me that this first season is the weakest, so I have high hopes that the story lines, and the acting honestly, improves moving forward.

On to season 2!
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 01:27:00 pm »

Series 1 is brilliant, but I think that series 2 is better. The characters all find their ground and the writers are all in full swing and know their direction a bit more. It also delves far deeper into the history of TW as an organisation and all of the characters are a lot more fleshed out, Owen especially. He gets a backstory that will make 'him' make a lot more sense to you as a viewer. The second half of the series is particularly brilliant with some of the best TW episodes ever IMO. We get some great guest stars including a turn from a former companion of the Doctor and the finale is a lot more satisfying, if not more heartbreaking than the first Smiley

There is only one episode of series 2 that I don't like and that is Meat. All the others are pretty great.
Report Spam   Logged

Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 12:47:19 am »

Torchwood definitely started off a bit rocky. The first season was iffy at best, and I wasn't too thrilled with the finale, and the grand total of five minutes of screen time the primary villain got. But season two kicked some major ass. And once you reach the third season, Children of Earth, your mind will be blown. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 01:13:53 pm »

Last night I watched season 2 episode 1.  Wow - what a difference from season 1 already.  It really started off with a bang and was that a bit more humor I noticed?  I really enjoyed it.  And HELLO Capt. John Hart!  He's an interesting character and honestly, I am always happy to see Mr. Marsters Smiley

Looking forward to the next episode.  I hope that season 2 keeps up the good work.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 01:25:26 pm »

Series 2 really covers over the mistakes from the first series and you can see a big difference. Its got some brilliant stories and the cast have really found their feet in their respective roles. If you liked the first series you will love the second
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 01:34:19 pm »

I really need to start watching series 2. Don't know why I havent got around to it yet
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 05:55:06 pm »

Incidentally (and this probably isn't the right place to post this Cool) has anyone noticed that there was also a Captain John Hart in the Pertwee story The Sea Devils?  I'm sure RTD wouldn't have missed that.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: