The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 06:03:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rate & Review - A Christmas Carol

Poll
Question: Rate A Christmas Carol
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 14 (66.7%)
4/5 - Near perfect - 5 (23.8%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 1 (4.8%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (4.8%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate & Review - A Christmas Carol  (Read 345 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:28:44 pm »

Rate and review A Christmas Carol. Easy as that. The thread will remain locked until Christmas Eve where me or another mod will unlock it for you all to come and play Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 09:16:06 am »

Just popped in to unlock this for the Doc. Forgot to do it yesterday. Merry Christmas everyone and enjoy the show Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 09:19:43 am »

Just popped in to unlock this for the Doc. Forgot to do it yesterday. Merry Christmas everyone and enjoy the show Smiley

Ha ha - that's what I came on for too! Great minds Smiley

Enjoy the ep everyone Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 03:50:36 pm »

Just over two hours to go. Can't wait Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 10:28:46 pm »

It was great, I thought
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 10:30:41 pm »

I can't believe the forum went down for four hours!!! What a nightmare. Today of all days

I absolutely loved the episode. Think it might be my favourite of the Xmas specials so far. The little in jokes and references were great and the reason behind amy and rory's outfits was brilliant. Very companion light though which was a bit of a shame. The trailer for series 6 looked brilliant
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 11:07:07 pm »

Yeah I loved it too. Had a smile on my face throughout  Smiley

And the Series 6 trailer - WOW!!!
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 12:07:30 am »

Lovely Christmas show, as they usually are, Michael Gambon and Katherine Jenkins were amazing alongside the Doctor. And Amy and Rory back in their policewoman and Roman outfits were great, especially since the action figures were just released of them in those costumes.  Smiley  Overall a very good episode to watch on Christmas Day!
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 04:37:27 am »

Loved every minute. More Christmassy than Cliff Richard, Roy Wood, Slade and a reindeer eating mince pies and sipping mulled wine in the snow. Matt Smith was his usual brilliant self, and he needed to be to avoid being completely blown off the screen by Michael Gambon, who was just (as a previous Doctor may have said) fantastic.
All the great wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimeyness, great one-liners and hang-on-that-doesn't-quite-make-sense-but-I'm-enjoying-it-too-much-to-careness that you'd expect from Steven Moffat.
Hadn't quite known what to expect with Katherine Jenkins, but she was a great choice. Her acting was fine (she wasn't given anything too difficult to do but did was asked of her perfectly well) and the song she sang was absolutely beautiful (even though I don't normally like the classical soprano-style voice) and worked perfectly within the storyline, not feeling like it was just shoehorned in because they had a famous singer as a guest star.

So right up there with the high general standard of DW Christmas episodes, and quite possibly the best yet.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
chixaninny
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 First Post
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 06:16:24 am »

I will be gathering the young'uns together to watch the Christmas ep this evening ( airing Boxing Day evening in Oz). Loking forward to a great show.
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 09:01:06 am »

Sorry about the forum going down yesterday guys. I gave up trying to get on after about 2 hours.

This years special was I thnk my favourite of the lot. When Moff said it was a twist on A Christmas Carol he wasnt kidding. It was barely recognisable and a neat way of borrowing a story element while still being wholly original. I think if it wasnt stated so much that it was a retelling (as well as having the same name) I probably wouldnt have even made the link. It was a mix of funny, dramatic and high emotion and everyone put in great performances. Very impressed and well worth the wait.

Assuming things run the same way over Christmas, the overnights should be available in the next 2 hours or so, so will update with them Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:20:26 am »

Full marks from me. I was so sure that it probably wouldnt work but it did and it was brilliant. Shame there wasnt so much of the companions but the other characters more than made up for that. I like how the Doctor decided to make it 'A Christmas Carol'. I wasnt sure how that would be played seeing as the Doctor knows Charles Dickens and would surely realise if he were suddenly living one of his stories, so that little twist was a great touch. Very impressed with the story and havent spoken to anyone who didnt like it
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 11:06:02 am »

Well I absolutely hated that episode. Utter, utter garb....ok, I couldn't keep that going!!

BRILLIANT!!

I agree with Double P, quite probably the best of the specials, with ease it's better than The Next Doctor & Runaway Bride.

11 was all kinds of great, in fact, all the acting was spot on, well on the ground anyways.
Not a slight on anyone in the spaceship, despite my dislike of Pond, just that they weren't really the focus of the ep.
The kid they had in it was particularly good I thought, as was Gambon (made up for his bizarre Dumbledore for me!)

I was in geek heaven over the shark - A literal Nantuket Sleigh Ride! (wonders how many folk know what that is..) - and picked up on a lot of the little gags they threw in, like the Fez' & such.

I can't gush enough over this ep, can't wait to watch it again. Except I'm now thinking I've forgotten something....oh balls, I forgot to record confidential, didn't I?!!!!!
Khaaaaaaannn!!

Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 11:16:47 am »

Ive not watched The End Of Time yet but I have seen all the other Christmas specials and this was by far my favourite. I loved every second of it. It was mad and crazy and funny and heartbreaking all at once and I can't wait to watch it again! It got 5 out of 5 from me
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 11:47:41 am »

Wish I could buck the trend but I have to go with full marks too. I was blown away by the whole episode. Its well known on here that I am a bit of a cryer and to have moments where you are getting all teary and laughing at the same time is a rarity but DW managed it brilliantly last night. I loved the story and all the acting was spot on. The teen Kazran was the only one who seemed a little out of his depth but it was small enough to overlook. What I can't overlook though was the serious lack of Rory. Especially seeing as he was wearing his sexy roman soldier outfit. Actually, come to think of it, how the hell did he even have that? Loved the reason why he was wearing it though. That got me laughing.

Overall I was very impressed and its made me so excited for the new series to start. It looks brilliant. Cant wait to watch this one again
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 05:04:40 pm »

I thought that the Christmas episode was wonderful!  It was so cleverly written, with lots of timey-wimey-ness (which I always love) and it was just so much fun to watch.  All of the acting was amazing and I am loving Matt Smith even more now Smiley

Also, loved how Rory and Amy were dressed in the Honeymoon suite.  Too funny.

One question though, and maybe this isn't the right place for it and maybe it's a dumb question:  How come Gambon's character as an old man was able to touch/hug his younger self?  That caused all sorts of trouble for Rose in Father's Day so just wondering why it wasn't an issue now.  It didn't bother me that it wasn't an issue, I was just curious.

Bring on Series 6!!!
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 06:19:04 pm »

One question though, and maybe this isn't the right place for it and maybe it's a dumb question:  How come Gambon's character as an old man was able to touch/hug his younger self?  That caused all sorts of trouble for Rose in Father's Day so just wondering why it wasn't an issue now.  It didn't bother me that it wasn't an issue, I was just curious.

In that moment the character was being rewritten, just after he turned around and saw himself as a boy he changed.  So much so that the machine no longer recognised him and they had to get Abigail to sing instead.  Well, that's how I saw it...I guess there's plenty of other theories out there, lol.

Fantastic episode, loved it from start to finish.  The new set designer (can't remember his name, sorry) blew me away, golly glad he's on board for S6 Grin  Murray Gold's carol, foretelling us of silence being all around, being alone and shadows, was hauntingly beautiful, and his reworking of the I Am the Doctor refrains were spot on.
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 07:07:16 pm »

Wonderful!  Parts were a bit silly, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Matt Smith is just so amazing; just when I think he can't possibly get any better, he does!  Him accidentally getting engaged to Marilyn Monroe was hilarious.  Love the trailer too; can't wait for season 6!

Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 06:41:34 pm »

Somebody updated Marilyn Monroe's wiki page yesterday to say this:

In the late 1950s, rumors circulated briefly that Monroe had eloped with an unnamed stranger in a bow tie she met during a party at Frank Sinatra's Hollywood estate. The marriage was never confirmed, however, due in part to the fact that it may not have taken place inside a real chapel.

Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »

Somebody updated Marilyn Monroe's wiki page yesterday to say this:

In the late 1950s, rumors circulated briefly that Monroe had eloped with an unnamed stranger in a bow tie she met during a party at Frank Sinatra's Hollywood estate. The marriage was never confirmed, however, due in part to the fact that it may not have taken place inside a real chapel.

Tongue

Excellent  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: