The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:16:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Seven Years Of Torchwood

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seven Years Of Torchwood  (Read 535 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:57:06 pm »

Barrowman has made a very interesting comment this week to The Scottish Sun which should make a lot of people pretty happy Smiley

I have turned down a load of other shows to make Torchwood. We'll be filming it in LA as it's now a collaboration between the BBC and the Starz Network in America. They're planning to make it for the next seven years. So I'll be spending six months a year in Hollywood and six back in the UK.

Let's hope the ratings are high enough and the show is good enough to keep it going until 2018 Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:14:06 pm »

Potentially great, potentially worrying. If it turns out to be great then I can happily welcome another 7 series, but I aint too sure how I feel about all the news we have had so far so another 7 years could be a nightmare, especially as my Who genes will be forcing me to watch
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:32:07 pm »

Potentially great, potentially worrying. If it turns out to be great then I can happily welcome another 7 series, but I aint too sure how I feel about all the news we have had so far so another 7 years could be a nightmare, especially as my Who genes will be forcing me to watch

This. Pretty much agree with every word
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:19:24 pm »

Oh brilliant. If this isnt just another 'Barrowman' comment, then it would show that all the involved parties have faith that it could run that long at least
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:48:14 pm »

That would make ten series overall. Not a bad innings for a show these days if it makes it there
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 07:38:18 pm »

Wouldnt mind this at all. I have my reservations about whats coming up but thats mostly because its new and new is scary, but I love the show overall and the longer it lasts the better
Report Spam   Logged

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 12:02:38 am »

If they can make it fun again... Doctor Who proves that you can alternate dark and light moments sometimes even in the same episode. While there were amusing moments in CoE, they were overshadowed by the events of the fourth and fifth parts.

Maybe with the new focus on adventure with the world travel theme we can see Gwen and Jack working together, having gotten past what happened in series 3.  If the Doctor can enjoy travelling even after the Time War and destruction of Gallifrey, the Torchwood team can rebuild and make a new team for future seasons.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:03 pm »

If they can make it fun again... Doctor Who proves that you can alternate dark and light moments sometimes even in the same episode. While there were amusing moments in CoE, they were overshadowed by the events of the fourth and fifth parts.

Maybe with the new focus on adventure with the world travel theme we can see Gwen and Jack working together, having gotten past what happened in series 3.  If the Doctor can enjoy travelling even after the Time War and destruction of Gallifrey, the Torchwood team can rebuild and make a new team for future seasons.

I think with the longer format that TNW has there will be plenty of opportunity for lighter moments. Especially with Jane Espenson on board. She is great at mixing light and heavy stories together so that they have the same amount of menace but with a touch of relief. COE was brilliant but I pretty much held my breath for 5 hours
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:58:32 pm »

I think with the longer format that TNW has there will be plenty of opportunity for lighter moments. Especially with Jane Espenson on board. She is great at mixing light and heavy stories together so that they have the same amount of menace but with a touch of relief. COE was brilliant but I pretty much held my breath for 5 hours

Yea I have to agree. I think for them to do ten episodes of such intense drama would be a bit much. It will have to have more lighter moments to give people a break. COE was very bleak at times
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »

It would be a good idea to show scenes of everyday life in the new season to contrast with the action and adventure.  CoE was about uprooting all the characters, even their established home and work bases.  If they're going to continue for many more seasons they should have other options to rebuild what got taken away from them.  On Doctor Who they have the TARDIS to go back to, on Torchwood they had the Hub there for the first two seasons, though Gwen may have been mostly spending time at home with the family.  However, with Jack returning, they may have the opportunity to reclaim the old Hub area, or else find another base to run Torchwood from.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 09:31:15 pm »

I tend to agree with this. I think after losing everything it is now important to see them rebuild. I don't think it would work having them 'on the run' for the rest of the shows run
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

EmoSpaceWhale
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: David Tennant
Favourite Companion: Jack Harkness, Mickey Smith, Donna Noble, Rory Williams

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 03:46:57 am »

It would be nice if it were Torchwood. The old Torchwood.
With Tosh, Owen, Ianto, and the Hub.
That is the show we loved, so don't you think that seven years of that would be more appealing? I mean they don't /have/ to keep to Cardiff..... But yea yea.. That won't happen.

Seven more years would be great if the show does end up doing well, but I do think it's too early to tell. With its coming to America, not really being apart of Torchwood anymore, and without the Hub... I'm still not sure how much I believe it will work out.
Report Spam   Logged

"Mobiles, landlines, tin cans with bits of string Everything, absolutely everything! No phones! Phones all broken. Hello is anyone there? No, 'cause the phones aren't working!" ^.^
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 04:00:49 am »

It would be nice if it were Torchwood. The old Torchwood.
With Tosh, Owen, Ianto, and the Hub.
That is the show we loved, so don't you think that seven years of that would be more appealing? I mean they don't /have/ to keep to Cardiff..... But yea yea.. That won't happen.

Seven more years would be great if the show does end up doing well, but I do think it's too early to tell. With its coming to America, not really being apart of Torchwood anymore, and without the Hub... I'm still not sure how much I believe it will work out.

That's true, the third season and now the fourth seemed to close off more of the possibilities of keeping the fans of the show in the past loyal. Even the novels and Torchwood magazine short stories published after CoE still featured Jack, Ianto and Gwen, sometimes Owen and Tosh in Cardiff. It seemed there were more potential stories there and they didn't want to speculate on what is happening after CoE since that was for the TV show's writers to deal with. Now Torchwood magazine is not being published anymore, but the official tie-in fiction I've heard about is still set pre-CoE.

It sounds like stories set in the previous era are still appealing to fans of Torchwood, while the fourth season is being geared towards finding new fans in worldwide markets. It's almost like they wanted to make a new science fiction series but using the Torchwood name; the long gaps between the seasons suggest that they want to try new things every time they come back which are different from what people were used to in the first two seasons.
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
EmoSpaceWhale
Hatchling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 04:26:49 am »

Well what can the team really do now when there's nothing? ... oh go to America.

And you're right! It does seem like they just wanted to make a new sci-fi.... RTD had loads of fans and choose to loose over half of them when he killed Ianto.. Now he just wants to appeal to the American audiences and how much is he going to change it for that?
It can't be the same show anymore can it? Torchwood was the office in Cardiff where Jack was the odd one out but now its all over the place aaaand... I'm rambling.

It's just.. Don't you think it would be sold on more people if it was the old show? We love it. The old Torchwood being on Starz would have the whole British and American audiences, old and new fans. It might even be bigger than DW knowing how hard it is to find any sort of DW/TW fan in America.

<.< might be rambling. ">.>
Report Spam   Logged

"Mobiles, landlines, tin cans with bits of string Everything, absolutely everything! No phones! Phones all broken. Hello is anyone there? No, 'cause the phones aren't working!" ^.^
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 04:41:13 am »

I think they should go find Torchwood 4.... Would be interesting because I am still dying to find out what happened to it and where it is.... Plus it would be interesting to see Jack and Gwen trying to settle into a new team and Jack fighting for leadership, obviously the other leader would need to die for Jack to seize control..

Anyway, that is my suggestion for a fixed base again... I mean, it sounds like a more volatile place and I think it would be awesome if this base was closer into the rift and had had side effects on the previous team.

I shall stop because I am getting the urge to start writing and that isn't good when I should be asleep. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 04:47:11 am »

Well what can the team really do now when there's nothing? ... oh go to America.

And you're right! It does seem like they just wanted to make a new sci-fi.... RTD had loads of fans and choose to loose over half of them when he killed Ianto.. Now he just wants to appeal to the American audiences and how much is he going to change it for that?
It can't be the same show anymore can it? Torchwood was the office in Cardiff where Jack was the odd one out but now its all over the place aaaand... I'm rambling.

It's just.. Don't you think it would be sold on more people if it was the old show? We love it. The old Torchwood being on Starz would have the whole British and American audiences, old and new fans. It might even be bigger than DW knowing how hard it is to find any sort of DW/TW fan in America.

<.< might be rambling. ">.>

It would be better to appeal to the fans who already know about Torchwood... there are plenty of sci-fi series already in America. Torchwood and Sarah Jane were originally set up to be the local version of Doctor Who, they were different because they stayed in one place while the Doctor traveled to a different place every episode. I think for Torchwood to keep what makes it unique they should still have a base in Wales. They are filming there with some scenes in other locations, so we'll see if they return to a more Cardiff-based program.
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
EmoSpaceWhale
Hatchling

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 04:54:02 am »

Haha! Exactly! There are too may and they're all the same! Why do we want more of what we already have? Thats why you watch Torchwood, it was amazingly different.

Yea I know about the other locations but I doubt they'll be centered around Cardiff anymore ;~; what fun is that? ..... bleb
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: