The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 03:49:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Ian & Barbara

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ian & Barbara  (Read 80 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:03:25 pm »

As you may know, I have been listening to a lot of early William Hartnell episodes recently (if you're interested then please check out my reviews in The Space Museum) and one thing above all else has struck me; how utterly amazing Ian and Barbara are!

It's interesting to look at how the role of the companion and the Doctor have changed since these two stumbled into the TARDIS. Ian (played by the protean William Russell) was wonderful as the male lead, questioning the Doctor and providing the human equation. It is something that I have noticed both RTD and Moff have tried to inject into Nu-Who with varying degrees of success, but the blueprint for this lay with Ian and Barbara.

Special mention should be made of the peerless Jacqueline Hill as Barbara. In many ways, I don't think I've ever seen a better, stronger female companion. She exudes a quiet dignity, managing to portray vulnerability without showing weakness. She is smart and fully the intellectual equal of Ian, and is not afraid to challenge the Doctor on every level. She is attractive but isn't defined by her sex or sexuality. She provided one of the (if not the) most iconic images in the whole of Who history - that classic ending to The Daleks with the succour closing in on her screaming in terror.

This was the original couple in the TARDIS and the more I listen to them and watch them, the better their performances get.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:45:02 pm »

I couldnt agree more. I love Barbara and Ian but specifically Barbara. I think Jaqueline Hill did a wonderful job of making sure that her character didnt turn into just another screaming woman because despite her age, that was mainly what they wanted out of the female characters back then so that the males could get them out of trouble, something which ultimately led to people like Carole Ann Ford and Maureen O'Brian deciding to leave the role. Barbara got herself into her fair share of tight spots but she always tried to get herself back out of them without needing to be overly reliant on the male characters to do so. I imagine back then, with sexism as rife as it was, that showing yourself to be a strong female lead in this type of show would have been tremendously difficult. RTD once said that he created Donna Noble as the 2008 version of Barbara and I think that's kind of spot on.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:14:46 pm »

I totally agree. It really is a tribute to the far sightedness of the shows creators to have such an amazing female lead as Barbara and I thought the casting of Jacqueline Hill was little short of perfect. I loved the way she played off, not only against Ian, but also Susan as well. She was the most 'vulnerable' of the companions and although I didn't know about Rusty's idea of Donna as a twenty first century Barbara, I can really see the parallels (especially The Fires of Pompeii).
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:30:28 pm »

I have always been very fond of this duo and have always kind of had my fingers crossed for the return of Ian while William Russell is still in well enough health to play him. The recent mention on SJA may have put paid to that, though I hope not. Both were fantastic characters and a great mould for future companions. Sadly though they are both often overlooked and their places in the success of the show in its earliest days often forgotten but as the DVD regain their popularity I think more and more people are becoming fans.

Jaqueline Hill, might I add, is totally under represented on the bonus features of all the classic DVD's and this should be rectified asap.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:57:10 pm »

Barbara is one of my all time favourite companions. Second only to Donna probably. She wasnt always written brilliantly but Jacqueline Hill always played her with such class and brilliance and she deserves all the recognition she gets. Was lovely to hear on SJA that in the Whoniverse at least, she is still alive and well
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: