The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 02:36:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Harry Sullivan

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Sullivan  (Read 124 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:11 pm »

When it was announced that Jon Pertwee was leaving the role of the Doctor, Executive Producer Barry Letts and Script Editor, Terrance Dicks commenced their search for a new actor to play the title role. The initial aim of these two was to find an older actor to play the Doctor so stars such as Graham Crowden (my heart still soars to think of him playing the Doctor), Richard Hurndall (who would go on to play the Doctor albiet by proxy), Michael Bentine and Fulton Mackay were all considered. This, thought the production team, would preclude the Doctor from action scenes. So a handsome, young male companion was envisaged to fulfil the 'action' requirements. Step forward Harry Sullivan. A hale and hearty navel type who was very straight forward but clearly intelligent and compassionate enough to be a Medical Doctor.

When watching Sullivan one is immediately struck by the charisma of Ian Marter's character. The snippy but affectionate relationship with Sarah Jane, the almost father-son relationship between him and the Doctor all work really well. The decision of the Hinchcliffe/Holmes team to drop the Sullivan character when it became obvious that Tom Baker's Doctor was more than able to handle the physical requirements was perhaps the only mis-step of that era.

Look at the stories he was involved in, Robot, The Ark in Space, Sontaran Expt, Genesis of the Daleks, Terror of the Zygons - what an amazing sequence of brilliance - and due in no small part to the loveable, slightly oafish but always heroic presence of Harry Sullivan. The loss of Ian Marter to a diabetic episode in the mid 1980s was truly tragic. His presence on screen was never less than wholly enjoyable and (as Peri-Peri rightly pointed out elsewhere) he is a much overlooked figure in the Whoniverse.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:30:44 pm »

I love Harry. I think he is brilliantly written, superbly acted and in some of the best stories of the 70's but for some reason, despite all that every time he comes on screen or I see a picture of him, it's like my memory has returned and I am surprised to see him there. Something about him is really forgettable and I think it is probably due to the amount of strong female characters that appeared around the same time such as Leela and SJS that kind of unintentionally stole his limelight. It is a shame that as a companion he isnt so well remembered because he really was a great character
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 02:24:45 pm »

Harry unfortunately had the task of being a great male companion in a series that at the time was famous for its leggy female companions, and despite there always being one alongside him, the fans, by and large, just weren't interested in his male perspective because Four was offering that in the form of what was a very physical Doctor. It's a shame because he really was rather good, but just in the wrong time
Report Spam   Logged
Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:03:21 am »

Harry unfortunately had the task of being a great male companion in a series that at the time was famous for its leggy female companions, and despite there always being one alongside him, the fans, by and large, just weren't interested in his male perspective because Four was offering that in the form of what was a very physical Doctor. It's a shame because he really was rather good, but just in the wrong time

I pretty much agree with all this. There's nowhere near enough love for Harry amongst fandom these days. I adored him right from the start simply because he was so typically, purely British, his dialogue especially: "Steady on old chap", "Come along old girl", etc. I dunno why, but those lines really carved him a place in my heart for some reason. He was polite but not spineless, intelligent but not enough to rival the Doctor, bold but not reckless.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:39:28 pm »

He was a fine character and played well of both Sarah Jane and the Doctor.  If they'd stuck with him, I think that could have been remembered as one of the classic Tardis teams.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: