The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:30:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Third Doctor - Inferno

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Third Doctor - Inferno  (Read 596 times)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:39:42 pm »

How brilliant is this story? I'd never seen it before but I woke up this morning and threw it on and then I couldnt stop watching. I got throught all 7 episodes and I loved it all. The story itself is really well put together and everyone puts in brilliant performances. The alternate Brig and Liz are brilliant and you can tell the actors loved playing with different personalities. The story itself moves at a great pace which is why I couldnt turn it off. A lot of what I have seen from before it moves at a snails pace, but not a minute of this story is wasted. JP is also brilliant as the Third Doctor.

I only happened to have this because I stole a load of DVD's from my cousin a while back (which is how I came to see and fall in love with Caves of Androzani) and now this is another one that she isnt getting back. Once I have done my cleaning for the day I am going to grab a coffee and go through the extras.

I really feel like I am hitting the jackpot with the stories I am dipping into from the classic series, but what does everyone else think of Inferno? Is it a popular story?

Also, I am going to need another reccomendation now please Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:05:27 pm »

I love Inferno. Its a brilliant end to Pertwee's first season and a great dramatic story with a satisfying climax (except Liz's exit). The first time DW went parallel if I remember correctly
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:21:23 pm »

Brilliant, brilliant story. Inferno is one of my favourite classic stories ever. It's a shame Liz didnt continue on as companion because she was brilliant throughout this whole story
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:01:31 pm »

One of the greats.  And I completely agree with TDD about Liz.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 08:32:13 pm »

Oh Inferno is great. I loved it when I was younger then didnt watch for a few years and rewatched again when it was released and was blown away all over again. Its such a solid story with a great change to what we had seen before, as the Doc said, with the parallel world. Brilliant performences all around too.

As a reccomendation I would say you should go for something completely different to the two you have seen so I am going to say either watch The War Machines or Talons Of Weng Chiang. Two great, but very different stories and Doctors
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:14:23 pm »

As always, PP talks copious amounts of wisdom Smiley This is a brilliant story - my favourite 'parallel world' story of any sci-fi franchise (Star Trek/Who etc). The DVD release is a marvel, full of informative little tidbits and a great commentary track (my new hero is John Levine who played Sgt Benton. I might try and buy him on eBay).

Talons is an excellent next port of call or may i suggest my own personal favourite, Robots of Death. Very very entertaining!
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:59:44 am »

Inferno is a great story. It was one of the first classics that I saw and probably one of the reasons I carried on watching them (other than all the brilliant Dalek stories)
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:35 pm »

Talons is an excellent next port of call or may i suggest my own personal favourite, Robots of Death. Very very entertaining!

Two spectacular choices.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:28:59 pm »

I think I have the War Machines out of all the ones listed. And Talons too. If not my cousin will have them. I will give those two a watch next and let you know my thoughts.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:39:07 am »

When I first ried to get into classic everyone talked about how amazing Inferno was so I tried it out. I didn't understand old television- I never watched it. So I didn't make it five minutes.

But then when I went through classic from episode 1, I enjoyed Inferno a lot more. It was a bit slow in some places for me, but they did the alternate world stuff awesomely. Maybe I need to go rewatch this story now that I'm much more attached to the characters- I'll probably appreciate it to the degree of praise it seems to receive.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:17 pm »

Loved the alternate timeline plot, but the werewolves were disappointing. If they need hot temperatures, why are they furry? So I found it a bit uneven, like the other Third Doctor stories I have seen. This is the best 3rd Doctor story I've seen so far, though. In parts it is great, and has some great dialogue. Love the part when the Doctor is trying to convince the alternative Brigadier that he is from another dimension and the Brigadier replies "Then the bullets won't hurt when they hit you" or something like that. Give it a 4.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rutan Host
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
50 Posts Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 12:04:35 pm »

Wow, been a while since anyone came posting in here Tongue

I couldn't resist though. Inferno is such a favourite of mine and I watch it at least a couple of times every year. Everything about it just works and as a whole it is perhaps one of the strongest stories of the entire run.

I imagine if ever there were a gag reel for the show, then there would have been enough laughing and joking behind the scenes on this one to fill it. Everyone looks like they are having a ball.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 10:10:34 am »

It does seem like a story where there would have been a lot of laughter behind the scenes. It's a fantastic story. I haven't watched in ages so I really should do again.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: