The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 01:14:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Torchwood Gets New Title And Plot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torchwood Gets New Title And Plot  (Read 496 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:27:37 am »

Russell T. Davies has revealed that the show is getting a new title, and revealed the show’s plot.

The New World is no more. It’s now been changed to Torchwood: Miracle Day.

And this is what it's about....

“The premise is a miracle happens in the world,” Davies says. “One day, on Earth, no one dies. The next day, no one dies. The day after that, no one dies. The [people who are] dying, keep dying … but don’t actually die. The possibility of death ceases to exist. Which is great for some people. But it’s an instant overnight population boom. The earth relies on people dying … What is society going to do now? Some of the answers are beautiful and brave. Some of the reactions are terrifying.”

This is from Inside TV and I don't know how reliable they are but I hate the name and I am not sure how I feel about the plot yet either.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:29:43 am »

Also wanted to add that I watched an episode of Xena the other day where nobody could die and the dying kept dying. Not sure of the relevence, but I did Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 02:32:19 am »

Awesome find Peri. Not sure how I feel about it yet but it's definately progress on the news front.

(I've also seen that Xena episode Tongue)
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:19:25 am »

This seems to come up a lot lately with Russell T Davies and his stories in which something big happens all over the world. There was Children of Earth, "The End of Time" in Doctor Who, even the Cybermen in every home in "Army of Ghosts." It's a departure from the Cardiff focused situations of the first two seasons; though there's still Jack and Gwen, Andy and Rhys to represent original Torchwood and I would like to see the four of them again.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:20:53 pm »

This is another plot synopsis that is doing the rounds

One day, nobody dies. All across the world, nobody dies. And then the next day, and the next, and the next, people keep aging -- they get hurt and sick -- but they never die. The result: a population boom, overnight. With all the extra people, resources are finite. It’s said that in four months’ time, the human race will cease to be viable. But this can’t be a natural event – someone’s got to be behind it. It’s a race against time as C.I.A. agent Rex Matheson investigates a global conspiracy. The answers lie within an old, secret British institute. As Rex keeps asking “What is Torchwood?", he’s drawn into a world of adventure, and a threat to change what it means to be human, forever.

The more I here about it, the more I am liking the sound of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 02:03:06 pm »

Interesting you say that this is similar to a Xena story because this tale is famous in Greek Mythology. As some of you know I take quite an interest in this area and there are a few instances where this occured. Most famous is probably Sisyphus who was forced to push a boulder up a hill and then watch it roll back down for all eternity. Just for reference I am going to bore you with the tale incase it has any bearing on the TW plot.

Sisyphus was a bit of an arse and Zeus decided to have him banished to the underworld. When Thanatos (sort of a modern day grim reaper) came to claim Sisyphus for the underworld, he knew he would not be taken easily, so he took with him a pair of handcuffs in order to chain Sisyphus, however Sisyphus played the fool and pretended like the handcuffs were the most amazing and intriguing thing ever and asked Thanatos to show him how they worked. Thanatos was obviously not too bright because he tested them out on himself. Sisyphus then locked Thanatos in his house for days and in this time nobody could die. Soldiers in battle who were mortally wounded stayed wounded and dying but didnt pass over. The elderly and the sick the same. The general populace just thought that a miracle had happened and the gods were smiling down on them, but gradually it came to be not such a great thing and the storehouses and winery's all quickly ran out of resources and there wasnt enough room for all the people. In the end, Ares became frustrated that his wars were becoming boring and so freed Thanatos in order to take him to the underworld.

There is a whole lot more that happens after that but its not (as far as I know) relevent to this story. So yea, it could be to do with the Greek Gods. We have already dealt with the Devil and seen the Grim Reaper so it wouldnt be a massive stretch.

Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »

I was thinking the same thing Roranicus. I know you didnt include the rest of the story (Sisyphus managing to talk his way out of Hades and pissing the Gods off even more), but perhaps that's how its linked? Maybe he gets out again thousands of years later and tried to pull the same stunt? Or maybe someone in the modern day is following by example?
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 02:25:52 pm »

I really don't know where I sit on this at the moment.  I think that it could well be a great piece of TV, but it's sounding less and less like Torchwood to me.  I get the feeling that we are facing another retcon, possibly due to the fact that it was easier to get funding with the DW/TW name behind it than starting again with a new project maybe.

I'm also a tad worried about the premise, as other have said above it's an age old plot line and one that just about every sci-fi show/writer has attempted at some point in their career.  I had assumed that the twist will be that 'aliens did it' as they seem to be completely missing so far, but I suppose the show could become about devils/grim reaper rather than space.  Thou that does bring to mind Mort by Pratchett for me Tongue

Also, I hate the retitle Sad

BUT, as I have said, I think it will be great TV.  The biggest plus for me is that Jane Espenson is on board, she writes characters that I tend to love, esp female parts.....so I may yet get to love Gwen Lips Sealed
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »

For me, it is the Greek Myth aspect of it that seems more appealing. Like Roranicus, I have a big interest in that kind of thing and I now feel more interested in seeing it. Before I really wanted to watch but was really woried about how it would play out, but now I am more intrigued. Would still like some aliens though Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »

Thats an awesome link Roranicus. And it's not one that I have heard anywhere else so if it turns out to be right then you may have been the first one to crack it Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:15 pm »

Thats actually a brilliant theory. It could make a great plot too if handled well. Though as with some of the posts above I would prefer some sort of alien story as apposed to a mythic one.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30:19 pm »

Would be cool if they went up against Gods, but if that theory came into play perhaps we would see Torchwood teaming up with Gods instead?
Report Spam   Logged

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 10:31:32 pm »

Interesting background, a lot of science fiction also uses ancient myths as a basis for their storylines. Star Trek the original series often took the idea of gods and beings with special powers adapted to aliens and other planets, as other series have done.

As long as they keep on the science fiction track and not in the apocalypse or horror direction, it could work. I think science fiction is more about the characters and story, while horror places less importance on the characters due to having an unstoppable villain or threat. In Torchwood we've seen an importance placed on preserving life, even though people died in the show it wasn't trivialized; however, CoE did take a turn for a less hopeful scenario when the team began to doubt that they would have any control over their future. Maybe they can find a way in the new series to restore agency and power to the name of Torchwood rather than allowing the government to take control from them.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 03:25:51 pm »

Interesting background, a lot of science fiction also uses ancient myths as a basis for their storylines. Star Trek the original series often took the idea of gods and beings with special powers adapted to aliens and other planets, as other series have done.

As long as they keep on the science fiction track and not in the apocalypse or horror direction, it could work. I think science fiction is more about the characters and story, while horror places less importance on the characters due to having an unstoppable villain or threat. In Torchwood we've seen an importance placed on preserving life, even though people died in the show it wasn't trivialized; however, CoE did take a turn for a less hopeful scenario when the team began to doubt that they would have any control over their future. Maybe they can find a way in the new series to restore agency and power to the name of Torchwood rather than allowing the government to take control from them.

I agree with you about the horror, but I think that this is probably going to be a scream and blood fest. Think about it. Someone for example my be shot through the heart. Instead of dying they could be left bleeding out in agony for days or weeks, untreatable. If we see some sort of war or battle, all the casualties will remain in their bloodied and unhealed state. Add to that things like hospitals becoming even more overcrowded with no room for people to be seen and treated and people going out and commiting horrendous crimes just because they can and I would say there will probably be a whole lot of nasty in the story. Oswald for example, is only in the story because we see him surviving his own execution. The thought of that is enough to make me feel uncomfortable
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 09:17:36 pm »

A lot of Torchwood fans might be resistant to the writers and producers bringing such a different approach to the show. While original Torchwood was a departure from Doctor Who, as I'm starting to read the New Adventures I notice that those books from the 1990s have a lot in common with Torchwood in bringing more adult themes into the settings of aliens and other planets. Some of the Torchwood writers have written in the horror genre before, however, the target audience from the first two seasons was not expecting the earth-shattering themes brought forth in the third and fourth seasons. This theme sounds more in common with a zombie film than the previous science fiction and romantic themes of before, at least at this early date.
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: