The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 01:26:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What If Jack Becomes Mortal?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What If Jack Becomes Mortal?  (Read 883 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:43:21 pm »

Ok, so I was thinking about the story and how essentially everybody becomes immortal for a while and it got me thinking. Jack is already unable to die so what if, at the very end of Miracle Day when everything goes back to normal and people start dying agian, what if it 'rights' Jack too and he is now able to die?

Do you think that is a direction they may take? How would you feel about it? Would help with writing him out should JB decide to up sticks to pastures new.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:19:53 pm »

That would be an interesting twist in the plot. Would certainly up the risk stakes. In COE he must have died abotu 15 times but every time it had less impact because you knew he would be ok. Even when he was buried for 2000 years or entombed in concrete you knew he would survive. Giving him his mortality could be a brilliant way of keeping things edgy.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:25:54 pm »

Though I do think it would be brilliant to touch upon this, do you really think they would do it? I think it has awesome story possibilities but I just don't think RTD would rewrite one of his biggest characters like that. They will probably find a way around it so that whatever the result is, it doesnt affect Jack.

Also, if nobody can die, does this mean we can kill off PC Andy Gobshite? Or even better, perhaps someone can take a chainsaw to him and we can have ten hours of watching him in pain Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:12:01 pm »

Angry  No way on the bashing up Andy. Do what you want to Jack, but hands off Gwen, Andy, and Rhys.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:29:27 am »

Sorry, I'm not going to go the route of choosing up which character is least liked and wishing something horrible will happen to them. If that's what the new series is going to be about, I'm starting not to like the idea so much.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:30:00 pm »

I don't think the new series will be about finding a disliked character and killing them off or wishing bad on them. But I wouldnt be surprised if Andy got killed off this year. Or Rhys. If there are to be deaths then they are going to want at least one that makes the viewer sit bolt upright and take notice of the fact that the danger is real. If RTD thinks it will help or move the story then he won't hesitate no matter how popular a character is. He proved that with Tosh, Owen and Ianto
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »

Umm, but didn't The Doctor make it a point to say he is a fact? If he becomes mortal, all the Face of Boe Stuff goes bye bye.

I know RTD fucks with canon, but not his own or something that big, I would think.

Then again, it seems like he wants to distance it from the Whoniverse, so maybe he'll ignore that.

But, Starz wants to do 7 seasons, and Captain Jack is Torchwoods biggest selling point, so I dont know.

There's arguments to be made on both sides, but I think he'll stay immortal. They might play with the fact that he won't, but I think he will.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:26:48 pm »

I don't think the new series will be about finding a disliked character and killing them off or wishing bad on them. But I wouldnt be surprised if Andy got killed off this year. Or Rhys. If there are to be deaths then they are going to want at least one that makes the viewer sit bolt upright and take notice of the fact that the danger is real. If RTD thinks it will help or move the story then he won't hesitate no matter how popular a character is. He proved that with Tosh, Owen and Ianto

Ah well, the various camps of viewers online will likely interpret it as validating their own viewpoint against a particular character... I don't read all of the Torchwood webpages because many of them turn out to have an agenda for or against parts of the show. RTD just changes the story every time the show comes back and then lets the fans fight it out while it is off the air. He will no doubt have something to throw at all the characters. I thought I'd give it a chance but since it looks like it's changing beyond recognition, it's not fun for me to think about at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 08:43:10 pm »

I think with these kinds of things it isnt worth getting worried or worked up about until viewed. Its easy to take things out of context or jump to assumptions based on the press release. In the last 5 days I must have read a hundred different interpretations of what could, would and should happen, with lots of people saying 'OMG it will be brilliant' or 'OMG it will be ****'. The thought of COE mortified me when I heard about it, but on watching I absolutely loved it. It was also nothing like any of the theories I had read which had all come out of the press releases and spoilery tidbits. I was tempted to get all worried about this when I first heard about it, but then I just remembered how wrong I, and everyone else was about COE.

That is also why I don't get all the people who say they won't be watching series 6 of DW. You don't know how good or bad something is until you have seen it, so I wouldnt worry Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:04:15 pm »

TDD speaks a lot of sense Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:30:21 pm »

I shouldn't have cared about the characters in the first place then, if they're just going to be killed off. I joined this forum because I thought there wouldn't be random character bashing, and I actually like watching those characters in Torchwood. I would agree up to a point that it would be an interesting arc, but the implication is that some characters will get what they deserve while others come out ahead.
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:37 pm »

I shouldn't have cared about the characters in the first place then, if they're just going to be killed off. I joined this forum because I thought there wouldn't be random character bashing, and I actually like watching those characters in Torchwood. I would agree up to a point that it would be an interesting arc, but the implication is that some characters will get what they deserve while others come out ahead.

I think there has been some sort of crossed wires here somewhere.

As for character bashing, I assume that is in reference to my comment about Andy. Perhaps the humour was misplaced for those who misunderstand it, but that's all it was. I dislike the character. Intensely. But I have every right to state that. I don't know if that's what you were getting at, but in general you can't be annoyed if people dislike characters that you like. It happens. Not everyone agrees. Other than my comment, there hasnt been any 'character bashing', so I don't get the relevence. Though admittedly, it could be something I missed.

As for you saying you shouldn't have bothered liking a character in the first place because they will just end up being killed off, well that was kind of the point of my earlier post. We don't know that any main character will be killed off. One can't be annoyed because they assume something might happen when it isnt known for sure that it will. Rex, as an example, could end up being the best character TW has ever seen, but the plan from the offset could be to kill him off in episode 10. To us it seems like killing a well loved character for the sake of it or to shock us, but behind the scenes it could have been planned all along. You say it is implied that 'some characters will get what they deserve while others come out ahead', but nowhere in here or in the press release for the show has it been implied that anyone will 'get what they deserve' or be killed at all. The nearest thing to it is a couple of comments in this thread about how people think it is likely that some will die and even then nothing was said about anyone 'deserving' to die, just that if RTD thinks it suits the story then that's what he will do, regardless of how popular they are and not how deserving they are. Characters I have loved in this and other shows have died, sometimes for no good reason, but I haven't let it affect me in the way some fans seem to take it so personally and I certainly wouldn't write off the rest of the show because of it without having seen it or because I assume someone else might die who I like, without actually knowing one way or the other. This isnt any sort of attack on you so please don't think that, and I do sort of agree with some of your points. But I do also think some of them are a bit misdirected.
Report Spam   Logged

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 12:03:35 am »

I thought this comment about Andy was a bit misplaced in a thread about Jack being mortal, when other times those comments might have been in the "Character Appreciation and Loathing" section. I've reacted to incidents elsewhere on other websites in which fanfiction writers or commenters might carry out their revenge on characters they don't like with the assumption that who they're writing for will appreciate it. In those instances oftentimes the fans behind this writing may not be looking for opposing viewpoints, because it's written for a different audience. I may not be that audience that they're looking for, but if they tell readers ahead of time that's what they want to accomplish, I try to spend more time on what I do enjoy and let others have their areas of interest as well.

Other than that, I think that RTD will do what's best for the story in TW4. It is his show to do with what he likes, and I don't think he will do something just for the sake of punishing a character. It's up to him to write and produce the story he wants to show on the screen. I'll respect what he has to say and what he wants to do with the series.
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 02:47:14 pm »

So back on to the original topic.....

Do you think that Jack could become mortal again, and what implications might it have?
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:35:05 pm »

What if, while the rest of the world becomes immortal, for the duration of the story Jack somehow becomes mortal and while trying to save the world, the peril becomes worse because Jack is now the only person who can die and some government types who have it in for him manage to find out?
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 10:14:02 pm »

Oh I like that theory!!!! Would be a very cool twist to the story and for the first time it would really put Jack in danger
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 01:36:07 am »

Potentially stupid question: how would he know that he is no longer immortal unless he dies?
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 02:29:23 am »

Potentially stupid question: how would he know that he is no longer immortal unless he dies?

Lol wow. I feel stupid not thinking about that Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 12:10:39 am »

Lol wow. I feel stupid not thinking about that Tongue

Maybe he only suspects - that would be enough to create tension.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 05:34:46 pm »

Slight drift off topic aside, good thread!

Hope you two are all cool again, think it was just a bit of crossed wires - been guilty of the odd bit of that myself in the past. All gravy.

Anyhow, I'd been wondering about the Jack thing too & it's an interesting plot twist I think.
Another thought I had was perhaps they'll do this because of starz wanting 7 seasons?
I can't actually remember, but is it just that he always comes back to life, or is it that he's proper immortal, as in doesn't age either? If he's not supposed to age, that'll be an issue in a season or 2 I'd imagine.

I'm pretty excited for the new series, my only down point is I think Rex is a duff name for a character  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: