The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 12:18:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Series 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 4  (Read 432 times)
Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« on: January 10, 2011, 06:27:07 pm »

I did enjoy the vast majority of Series IV, and I can't deny my love for Donna - easily the best companion of the RTD era, no contest. We should all be supremely glad that Davies' initial plans for the S4 companion didn't pan out, if you ask me. The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky was a gripping story and the perfect way to bring back one of the best of the classic villains, The Unicorn and the Wasp was one of the most enjoyable stories of the revived series, and Midnight is quite honestly some of Russel T Davies' best work ever, period.

But for me, the series finale ended up going from a powerful start to a HUGE let-down as far as story was concerned. Sure, it was great seeing everyone again and bringing Davros back was incredible to see, even if how it was done was a tad iffy. But in my opinion, there was too much going on at once, and the entire story just felt rushed and loosely held together. Donna's departure was far less than the character - and the actress - deserved; the second human-form Doctor was contrived and more than a bit silly; and the bit with Rose was little more than pandering to the mass of fans obsessed with the idea of Rose and the Doctor shacking up. In my opinion, the finale needed to be either three episodes long, or they needed to cut out one or more of the returning characters (the SJA cast would've got my vote for the boot, especially Luke).
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: