The Doctor In The TARDIS
November 11, 2019, 08:51:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dislike for Russell T Davies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislike for Russell T Davies  (Read 466 times)
Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: January 11, 2011, 05:25:14 pm »

Hey mate, don't worry about your opinions not making you friends or anything. Opinions around here are fairly divided, and there are even a few people like me who are able to see both the good and the bad in topics like this.

I have no distinct dislike for the man, but I do agree with a great deal of what you've said about both his writing and the direction he took the show. His style works well for adult dramas and dark-ish comedies. It deals with mature themes and almost always provides some level of social commentary - not necessarily intentionally, but that's just who he is. That kind of style doesn't always mesh well with a family oriented show, and much less so with one like Doctor Who. And it definitely shows in some of his Doctor Who episodes.

I also disliked his penchant for massive, Earth-shattering stories that brought the existence of aliens and even of the Doctor himself to the public eye. In a way it kind of cheapens the whole thing, where the Doctor saves countless lives simply because it's the right thing to do, not because he wants to be a hero. That was one thing that really stood out as odd in the finale to Series III - as thrilling and moving as it may have been to think of the idea of the entire world calling out for a hero they can't even really be sure exists simply out of hope, it doesn't fit in with the Doctor, especially if you consider the fact that it was the Doctor who instructed Martha on how to go about stopping the Master. Just as Martha said in that very episode, no one ever knew he was there and he never asked to be thanked. But then he goes and tells the whole world "Hey, look't me, I can help you!". Making such a public spectacle out of the Doctor was even more blatant in the Christmas specials, but bugged me most in The Next Doctor, which otherwise had the potential to become a really fantastic and touching story, until the Cyberking turned out to be nothing more than a massive Cyberman that went all Godzilla on London.

But all in all, he really did want the show to succeed, and that makes it possible for me - and many others, I've found - to forgive his sometimes lacklustre or "un-Doctor Who-ish" writing and stories.

I also agree, this time a little more whole-heartedly, with your opinion on the newest series. I was among those who had reservations about Matt Smith, as I've historically had about every new Doctor, but was once again pleasantly surprised when he lived up to my expectations of him - and then some. And Steven Moffat has definitely performed up to his usual high standard of storytelling, delivering both intensity and emotion in perfect measure throughout the season. The only complaint I had about his first season as showrunner was The Vampires of Venice, which I felt was lacking something I can't quite put into words; though I'll also agree that I did not enjoy The Lodger as much as I thought I would - but that was more to do with my dislike for the bloated, petulant git of a guest star than the episode's writing.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: