The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:10:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dislike for Russell T Davies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislike for Russell T Davies  (Read 714 times)
Amuro
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 11th
Favourite Companion: Romana

Space Gandalf

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:38:59 am »

Hyacathusarillistad:

Glad we are in agreement! I'm certainly not blind to some of the faults with series 5 either. I too hate Corden, which put me off straight away, but was more rattled with the conclusion that had more to do with his character finding resolution rather than the enemy being dispatched in a way that made real sense (this flaw is even more glaring considering the ship in this episode is set to reappear - just imagine if its a Silent ship and it was outsmarted by James Corden?). The Cold Blood episode was just dull and didn't really make sense in places (the Silurians tale was wrapped up too quickly). Also, there were a lot of flaws in Victory of the Daleks (but I like the new design - I don't take the Daleks as seriously after Donna dispatched them by pressing some buttons in the Daleks own dungeon...) and the Beast Below needed to be more clear on some points to emphasise the brilliance of it's premise/setting (why would the government, which it turned out was reasonably benevolent, use underachieving children as slave labour - surely maintaining a space colony would required a lot of unskilled workmen - or create the Smilers?) And yes, sometimes Amy can be a bit stroppy, but she can also be quite charming - increasingly so once we get to Vincent and the Doctor.

Overall, however, I felt these were flaws within the individual episode scripts rather than the overall tone and/or characterisations. I'm sure I could make similar criticisms of even the best of the previous series'. That's why I'm so much more happy with the direction than in the previous series. The problems I had with Russel's writing was that EVERY story had glaring, over the top problems that really took me out of the show, and the characters were increasingly being poorly managed. Also, Victory of the Daleks and the Lodger were most likely already well established in the minds of the writers (both who were established in Russel's era) and so perhaps didn't fit the tone of the more Moffat dominated parts of the series. The age of Busted cameos, the Queen waving at a falling Titanic replica, Giant cybermen and ridiculous season finale conclusions is over and I'm very happy for that!

poprockgeek:

No problem, just wasn't sure about making a new topic with my first post!
Report Spam   Logged

"After a while, everything is just stuff! That's the problem, you make the whole of space and time your backyard, and what do you have? A backyard. But you, you can see it. And when you see it, I see it."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: