The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 11:30:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Women in Doctor Who

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women in Doctor Who  (Read 873 times)
BlueRose

Badges: (View All)
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:25:51 pm »

Personally, there have been times in the original series where it was not only helpful to women but downright brave. As a writer and a longtime fan of scifi, I'm pretty sensitive to the issue of women in science fiction both in literature and shows. I know at least in America science fiction is frequently dumbed down and at best catered to the 18-25 year old males, so when I see shows like Fringe with a main female character who does NOT have to flaunt her sexuality, is highly intelligent, and isn't an ice queen nor a b!tch, it's unusual and refreshing. Babylon 5 remains another show which did a very good job not only at gender but the LGBT representation.

I think in wondering about the Doctor's companions it overlooks the fact that there have been male companions and there has been a married couple in the TARDIS before: Barbara and Ian. So to complain this is some female escapist fantasy is ignoring an awful lot of canon.

I DO think that the new series has a far, far more Peter Pan feeling to it than the previous with RTD, less scifi and more fantasy elements.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: