The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:48:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rose

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rose  (Read 180 times)
BlueRose

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 02, 2010, 01:11:57 am »

*prepares for the sharpening of sticks and stones*

Her character portrayal went down something fierce as the seasons went on, and even fans like me were screaming for RTD to LET IT GO ALREADY...but I utterly loved her in season 1. She was an intelligent girl who was a bit of a drifter and settled, never applying herself or realizing her full potential--until the Doctor came along.

Her storyline also produced what I feel to be the most emotional moment in the whole series. I can't watch it without bawling like a baby. And no, it's not the moment you'd expect:

"But what do I do every day, mum? What do I do? Get up - catch the bus - go to work - come back home - eat chips and go to bed? Is that it? ... The Doctor showed me a better way of living your life.... That you don't just give up. You don't just let things happen. You make a stand. You say no. You have the guts to do what's right when everyone else just runs away, and I just can't--" -Doctor Who, "Parting of the Ways"

What I hated the most about the assassination of her character after that was that it seemed like she had just forgotten about all that, and it really burns. That to me is the essence of what the Doctor is about: making people better, showing them how to live better lives, broaden their minds and explore reality.

And that's f---ing awesome.

In any event...I'm chiming in on behalf of Rose love. I can't even think of attacking her for trying to get back to her original universe; I would've ripped into the fabric of time and space myself to get back after all she went through, and the poor girl had to go and fall in love on top of all of that. What can I say...I have a bit of empathy.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:04:26 am »

I loved Rose, but her character took such a left turn somewhere along the way and it just didnt feel right and made me go off the character quite a bit. I am by no means a hater, because I know how great the character could be, and was, but as her story went on, I liked her less, which is a shame.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
BlueRose

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:51:36 pm »

I loved Rose, but her character took such a left turn somewhere along the way and it just didnt feel right and made me go off the character quite a bit. I am by no means a hater, because I know how great the character could be, and was, but as her story went on, I liked her less, which is a shame.

Same here. Sad Sad Sad
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 05:58:59 pm »

I really liked Rose in series 1.  She had great chemistry with Nine.  In series 2, something changed.  It seemed like some of the wonder was gone from her, she became a know-it-all, and she and Ten were like a couple of giggling teenagers flitting about the universe.  I couldn't believe it was the same show!  But yeah, her character development from the bored shop girl to the Bad Wolf in the first series was amazing. 
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:31 pm »

I really liked Rose in series 1.  She had great chemistry with Nine.  In series 2, something changed.  It seemed like some of the wonder was gone from her, she became a know-it-all, and she and Ten were like a couple of giggling teenagers flitting about the universe.  I couldn't believe it was the same show!  But yeah, her character development from the bored shop girl to the Bad Wolf in the first series was amazing. 

You summed up my feelings VERY well on this one. I miss the spunky, real world gal of S1. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
fandamnation
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:20:00 pm »

I'm very much a newbie to the Doctor Who universe, and I fell for the dynamic between Rose and The Doctor straight away - it's what hooked me in.

The first episode I saw was School Reunion and the scene where she confronts him and asks him if he'll abandon her like he did Sarah Jane and the others, and he says "No, not you." was just so powerful and loaded. I had to go back and watch everything.

I don't really understand the hate for Rose from people in the fandom. She was only very young, but I loved the idea that a normal, everyday girl could bring the most powerful, dynamic man in the universe to his knees. The fact that he loved her was amazing. I don't know whether that's just foolish naivety on my part but I'm so drawn to that.

I bawled my way through Doomsday, and it took me ages to muster up the courage to watch Journey's End. I was disappointed with some things, but Rose wasn't as much of a focus in Season 2 as she was in the first season. If you look at her character as a lens through which the audience sees everything, then naturally by season 2 we are all more self aware and we know more.

I still get chills hearing the music from Doomsday, I love all the little references to Rose/BadWolf along the way. I guess she symbolised something that I love about Doctor Who as a character - that he could fall in love, that while he was impenetrable and seemed impossible to best by his enemies, he was capable of being vunerable to those emotions.

As far as them acting like flirty teenagers, I kind of liked that in some ways! Some of the episodes were so full of angst it was nice to have something to break them up.

Anyway, that's my big nonsensical rant. Poo to Rose haters I say lol
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:23:45 pm »

I just loved the fits of whimsy. I found them VERY in-character; as anyone could've seen from even just watching Nine he just luuuurves trouble. It's kinda awesome. Cheesy

But yes, you summed up my feelings on it exactly and I don't even "ship" them, as it were. It made sense, it was subtle...at no time did I feel like I was being hit with a hammer on it: until even the Master compared Martha to Rose, and I was throwing things at the tv. Stop, just stop. D:
Report Spam   Logged
fandamnation
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 06:27:07 pm »

But I do ship them, I ship them hard! lmfao

That's what I was saying! I adore Ten/Rose and Nine/Rose.
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »

But I do ship them, I ship them hard! lmfao

That's what I was saying! I adore Ten/Rose and Nine/Rose.

LOL! That's cool. Cheesy I don't blame ya.
Report Spam   Logged
Doomsday
Hatchling

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

View Profile
Poll Voter Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 06:49:13 am »

Rose is by far my fave character of all time. 

Rose was a big part of why I started to watch Doctor Who, and without her I would imagine I would have not given it a second look (which would have been beyond sadness)  and the story of Rose to me is one of the best.  Her change from ordinary girl, to heart of the Tardis (which was f-ing awesome and gives me chills every time) to my fave episode of all time (not that you could tell from my username)   I cry every time I see it, and its the thought if being split between dimensions, never (as we thought at the time) getting to see that person again, but knowing they haven't died, but are somewhere you can never get back to.

Rose's return was amazing, the short glimpses of her through season 4 were the most exciting times for me, the mystery and anticipation were beyond anything I have felt before for many series of any program, and her kick ass gun welding return was epic in my opinion (leaving weird teeth aside)

Rose's final arc didn't sit well with me for a long time, but it clicked with me a year later when watching it on an idle Sunday, and I am happy with how she now has her own Doctor.

and finally, how it turns out she met Tennant before Eccles was a great final, and amazing touch, and was of course the only way Tennant could go.

Ok.

Anyway. Yes. Rose. Amazeballs.
Report Spam   Logged

If these are going to be my last words then you're going to listen. I met the Emperor. And I took the time vortex and poured it into his head and turned it into dust.
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 06:13:53 pm »

I agree, Rose is a brilliant companion and I still miss her on the show. Some of the stories she appeared in were the best and her ending was so sad. I still get teary when I watch
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: