The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 05:08:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Beast Below (over)Analysis

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beast Below (over)Analysis  (Read 389 times)
Amuro
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 11th
Favourite Companion: Romana

Space Gandalf

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:55:45 am »

It's true that Amy does repeat some points at the end, but I thought that was more to do with how she comes to understand the Doctor rather than the situation on Starship UK. I think the only reason it was repeated was so they could have the scene with the Doctor and Amy looking out into space after the conclusion, which was important for the relationship between them.

Still, I think that although it seems very obvious where they are going with the nature of the Government of Starship UK, by the end they are presented as being reasonably benign. They explain why they have kept the secret from the Queen, but never why they feed the children to the whale or why they need to use the Smilers. It goes from the Government being an the corrupt rulers of a police state to them just trying to protect the population, and I can't help but feel that the story seemed to be heading to a much more darker version of the government that was scrapped for whatever reason (yes, the episode being cut down is a good one, but in the DWM special episode guides, it references all the bits that where cut and there isn't much that that would change this.)
Report Spam   Logged

"After a while, everything is just stuff! That's the problem, you make the whole of space and time your backyard, and what do you have? A backyard. But you, you can see it. And when you see it, I see it."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: