The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 03:32:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Beast Below (over)Analysis

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beast Below (over)Analysis  (Read 385 times)
Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:21:28 am »

While I think the political commentary is certainly there, I personally don't believe it to be as intentional as some might think. Being a writer myself, I'm content saying that most modern writers don't start out thinking "Okay, I'm going to write a story about my views of my national government", or "I'm going to write about the growing apathy in western democracy". I know plenty of authors have done so in the past, but I don't think the idea works for television drama, especially for family-oriented shows. Stories would become too contrived, too forced if that were the case, if you ask me. I think it's merely a case of Moffat's views permeating his writing. He feels a certain way about the nature of modern democratic methods. Obviously, how he perceives a topic is going to work its way into stories that by their very nature touch on similar subject matter.

The same thing could be said for a number of Davies' stories, as well - take Gridlock, for example. In The Writer's Tale, Davies baldly states that he didn't set out to include any kind of commentary on religious devotion or faith. He made the people of New New York the way he did so that we as the audience could empathise with them, and see the suffering they don't acknowledge in a very exposed kind of way. But their faith is misplaced - there's no one up above to help them. He didn't intend for that to reflect his views on religious faith, but it's there. He summed it up quite nicely in one of my favourite quotes of the book: "Writing isn't just a job that stops at six-thirty... It's a mad, sexy, scary, obsessive, ruthless, joyful, and utterly, utterly personal thing. There's not the writer and then me; there's just me. All of my life connects to the writing. All of it."
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: