The Doctor In The TARDIS
February 03, 2023, 09:24:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Eighth Doctor Audio: The Zygon Who Fell To Earth

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eighth Doctor Audio: The Zygon Who Fell To Earth  (Read 368 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:53:53 pm »

There are no monsters this time... are there?

Ten years later and Aunty Pat is in her prime. She's snagged herself an ex rock star at the Kendal Folk Festival and now, in the brave new world of the early 1980s they manage together a snazzy hotel on the poetic and shingly shore of Lake Grasmere. However, still waters run deep and friends from the past are returning, intent on milking the old cash-cow...

Well, now that's out of the way, onto the review.

So what's good with it? Aside from the stellar performances put in by Mcgann and Smith as always, this story sees the Big Finish debut of the much missed and totally brilliant Zygons. And boy are they nasty! The supporting cast are top notch and though there isnt many speaking roles the pace never drops. The story works hard to mix comedy and drama and for the most part it works, with some laughs to be had, particularly in the early half of the story. There are some nice nods to the past with mentions of the Doctors previous encounters with the Zygons and they even manage to get in a mention of their meeting from the book The Bodysnatchers. There are some touching scenes in the latter half of the story which fit in quite nicely with the earlier drama and comedic elements. The return of Aunty Pat from the last series is also very welcome and she gets a much meatier role this time around. The unrequited alien love plotline between two of the Zygons was a brilliant piece of comedy and a great new dimension to the monsters is added there. Its subtle but very funny and reminded me of Sebastian and the Prime Minister from Little Britain. That 'gay agenda' gets everywhere, doesnt it!

But what's wrong with it? This is one of the only audios where you are painfully aware that there is no imagery to go with what you are hearing. Some of the dialogue becomes too descriptive as characters talk about what it happening in front of them and I found it a little offputting at times. Having Lucie possessed for a second time within a matter of a couple of audios seems a bit like we are treading ground that was done recently, and arguably better. Though the story itself is well written and enjoyable, the overall plot has been done to death and I wanted so much more for the Zygons big return. The ending of the story seems a little bit on the rushed side. There were some brilliant developments happening but just not enough time to place them all out in a satisfactory way. The end of the story sees the Doctor going to a very dark place, but without the extra time it is just left hanging out there with no real explanation or emphasis on just how out of character it was, especially as you just know it will have implications later. As a sort of sequel to Horror Of Glam Rock, this story also features music, but unlike HOGR which is arguably one of the best Eighth Doctor audios, the music in this feels like it was jammed in as a way of linking the two together, when really there was no need. Though on the whole the comedy and drama worked well together, the 'let's destroy the world' plot on top of that, with a 'let's be a musical' element thrown in for good measure makes the whole thing seem a bit like it's fighting against itself to tell a good story. Paul Magrs just couldnt seem to decide where he was going with it.

Final Verdict: At times brilliant but mainly over ambitious and a bit dissapointing, The Zygon Who Fell To Earth fell a little flat. It gets 3/5 TARDIS's for featuring the Zygons though

Extras: This audio runs at 60 minutes long and is available on one disc with interviews with the cast included.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:10:40 pm »

I listened to this specifically for the Zygons, but on the whole I didnt really like it. It wasnt a bad story, it was just all over the place
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:51:11 pm »

I really enjoyed this. It was a bit all over the place and the music really felt shoehorned in, but it was a decent enough tale and you know, Zygons! You couldnt help feeling for them to a certain extent. Its not one of the best by any means, but it's worth a listen for sure.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:33:26 pm »

Great Review Peri-Peri Smiley I know that sometimes the 'alright' stories are the toughest to write a thorough review for, but I think you have got the number of this story pretty well.

As for the story, I rather liked it but I think you have it right at about 3/5 Tardises. I like Steven Pacey (he was Tarrant in Blake's 7) and thought the supporting cast in general were quite good. But like you, i thought it never really got out of second gear and the music was a bit egregious. But worth an hour or so of my time!
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:38:53 pm »

I hated this. After HOGR and with the inclusions of the Zygons I thought it was going to be such a winner, but it drove me nuts. It was probably made worse because I know how good it could have been
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 07:33:12 pm »

I don't say this about many audios, but I pretty much hated everything about it. The Zygons were well written but totally wasted. The music was pretty dreadful and the story was pretty much all over the place. Paul Magrs isn't one of my favourites
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:25:08 pm »

To be honest I thought the Zygons would be enough of a draw and I would end up being the only one who wasn't too keen on this so I am surprised that most others don't like it either
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:55:12 pm »

I got this a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to it because of everything I've heard about the Zygons, but the review doesn't sound too promising
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: