The Doctor In The TARDIS
February 03, 2023, 12:53:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Doctor Who Superstar Award 2012

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Doctor Who Superstar Award 2012  (Read 179 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:43:14 am »

Verity Lambert, (27 November 1935-22 November 2007) the first Producer of Doctor Who, was born in London. She served as Producer from An Unearthly Child to Mission to the Unknown. Her work on Doctor Who was the first time she had been a full producer and was one of the first times a woman had such a role in television. The day after her death was the forty-fourth anniversary of the show's debut.

Ms. Lambert owned her own production company, Cinema Verity. She was awarded an OBE in 2002 for services to film and television, making her the first producer of Doctor Who to be made an OBE. She was due to receive a lifetime achievement award at the Women in Film and Television Awards in December 2007, but died before the award could be presented to her. It was awarded posthumously.

As of late 2009, the 2005 revival of Doctor Who has paid on-screen tribute to Lambert on at least three occasions. In the 2007 episode Human Nature, the Tenth Doctor, in his guise as the human John Smith, identifies his mother by the name Verity. The 2007 Christmas special Voyage of the Damned ends with an on-screen dedication to Lambert, who had died a month earlier. Most recently, the 2009 episode The End of Time included a character named Verity Newman (as an homage to both Verity Lambert and series creator Sydney Newman), the great-granddaughter of Joan Redfern from Human Nature and the author of A Journal of Impossible Things.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:12:45 pm »

I'm really pleased to see that despite so many fans not having watched the classic series, and even less knowing anything about behind the scenes, that this one has been given to Verity. She did so much for the show in those early days and supported it righ up until she passed away. It would have been a very different show without her, if it even got out there at all.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »

I'll be honest in not knowing an awful lot about her and only a small amount about her role in the shows early days, but even with my little knowledge it seems fitting that she won somehow.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:05:34 pm »

Great.  I voted for her, but I wasn't really expecting her to win.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »

I'll be honest in not knowing an awful lot about her and only a small amount about her role in the shows early days, but even with my little knowledge it seems fitting that she won somehow.

I'd agree with this. I'll be honest, I totally expected someone from the new series to get it. Moff or RTD or even one of the actors, but it's nice to see that someone from the very start was recognised by the majority.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 12:20:35 pm »

A very deserving winner here. She worked wonders on the show and championed it right the way through. She left a huge mark on Doctor Who so it's really nice to see her acknowledged.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 12:48:05 pm »

This is a nice new one to give out, and a very deserving first winner. The show wouldn't be where it is now without her input.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: