The Doctor In The TARDIS
February 02, 2023, 11:51:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rate & Review Nightmare In Silver

Poll
Question: Rate this story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Near Perfect - 2 (66.7%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 0 (0%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (33.3%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate & Review Nightmare In Silver  (Read 162 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: January 27, 2013, 05:21:08 pm »

What are your thoughts on this story? Rate and review it in here.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 04:16:32 pm »

I really enjoyed this episode, but found the kids (the ones Clara looks after) a bit of a weird (and perhaps unnecessary addition). I loved Warwick Davis and thought he played his role brilliantly. And the change to the Cybermen was kind of creepy.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:58:51 pm »

I enjoyed the episode, but felt an instinctive disappointment, perhaps just because my anticipation of Gaiman + Cybermen couldn't really have been fulfilled.  It annoyed me a bit that the kids were just there and we didn't get to see Clara having to explain to the Doctor he was going to have to give them an outing.  I gave it a four in the end.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 08:59:41 pm »

And again, the reappearance is too obvious to comment on.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 04:51:01 pm »

There are some things that are amazing. Chocolate is amazing. There are also things that are wonderful. Chips are wonderful. But chocolate and chips together just don't work. That is what this episode was like. Something amazing (Gaiman) and something wonderful (Cybermen) should go together well. They just don't (or at least they didn't on this occasion).

The attempt to 'collectivise' the cybermen was a reasonable one, except it has been done by Star Trek (much better). Matt Smith's performance was strangely off-key and unsuited to the story. Poor Tamsin Outhwaite must have turned up expecting a reasonable part and was ridiculously killed off. A huge dramatic moment totally wasted. Why is Warwick Davis hiding - and did he really kill off half of his platoon just because he didn't want to be Emperor? Why is the controller of a species famous for eradicating emotions portrayed as taunting the Doctor (Ok, that can be explained as his possession of the Doctor, but still seems a poor choice). Finally (not my point but one that occurred to me immediately) was why do we get a planet explode when the whole point of the bomb was that it was an implosion device?

These are instances, which - in isolation - might have been overlooked. But, in truth, the whole story was a bit of a mess. The characters were indeterminate, the plot was sketchy and the direction was a bit weird. I was amazed that in the space of one season we have the resolutely pacifist Doctor ("there should have been another way", "I don't like guns", "But thats Murder etc") executing a salvage dealer and actively complicit in the detonating of an implosion device to destroy a planet. Also, yet another incident of Dr. SexPest (was the tight dress comment really necessary?)

Neil Gaiman occupies a God-like place in my heart. He is arguably the best fantasy writer on the planet. Yet this story was so messy and had so many plot issues that I really couldn't do better then 2/5. But that's ok because it looks like everyone in the production team thought this was "good enough". Maybe it was. But is "Good enough" really good enough? Especially given the standards we have been used to.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: